Johannelund School of Theology
Welcome to Johannelund School of Theology! Johannelunds teologiska högskola, was founded in 1862, and provides today:
- Academic programs in Theology with accredited rigor on undergraduate and graduate levels (non-confessional).
- Intentional engagement with teachers and holistic integration of studies outside the classroom.
- Preparation for today’s world with both local and global perspectives.
- A school with mot than 150 years of international relations with Africa and options for international travel.
- Affordable living with on-campus apartments (that have easy access to the bus, grocery store, and other community services.
- Adventures to discover in the university town of Uppsala, or in Stockholm ‒ the beautiful capital of Sweden (just a 50-minute train ride away).
Academic programs in Theology
Johannelund School of Theology offers following (non-confessional) academic programs.
- Higher Education Diploma/Högskolexamen, 120 credits (2 years).
- Degree of Bachelor/Kandidatexamen,180 credits (Three years).
- Degree of Master/Magisterexamen, 60 credits (1 year).
- Degree of Master/Magisterexamen, 120 credits (2 years).
Johannelund School of Theology is an independent and accredited university-college. Our accreditation provides the same equal official status as with all universities or colleges in Sweden. Thus, we issue degrees in accordance with the same laws and ordinances, and the Swedish Higher Education Authority (SHEA) evaluates all of our programs. (SHEA is responsible for the quality assurance system for higher education and evaluation reports are available to the public.
Intentional engagement and holistic integration
Drawn to our Reformation-based Lutheran evangelicalism, about 340 students study in full-time, part-time, or distance courses. Many students pursue equipping for ordained ministry in the Swedish Evangelical mission (SEM/EFS) or the Church of Sweden, while other students come from a variety of backgrounds to engage in academic rigor as part of a holistic learning community. Classes may be juxtaposed with mentoring and worship in the midst of a community. Thus, we offer more than intellectual development‒but an education for life.
Old roots – new partnerships
Johannelund School of Theology was founded by Swedish Evangelical Mission (SEM/EFS) in 1862 as a seminary for training of Lutheran missionaries and clergy. Our legacy continues, including global perspectives and international partnerships.
We have agreements with several international partners, such as:
- Ethiopian Graduate School of Theology (Addis Abeba), Ethiopia.
- Oxford University (Oxford), England.
- Luther Seminary (St. Paul, MN), USA.
- VID-Specialized University (Stavanger and Oslo), Norway.
- Norwegian School of Theology (Oslo), Norway.
Languages and fees
The courses at Johannelund School of Theology are primarily taught in Swedish, but international students can contact the administration for possibilities in taking reading courses, also distance learning courses, in English.
The courses are free of charge in you are an EU-member or come is a student from an institution with an exchange agreement with Johannelund School of Theology.
We can offer some students affordable living in on-campus student rooms.
Johannelund School of Theology is situated in Uppsala, a university town with a unique university library, Carolina Rediviva, and the archbishopric of the Church of Sweden, with a beautiful gothic cathedral, Uppsala domkyrka. Close by is Sweden’s most important historical sites form the Viking era – Gamla Uppsala.
You are in the capital of Sweden, Stockholm, within an hour by train or car, a city with plentiful of attractions and a beautiful archipelago.
Welcome to contact us!